Okay, let’s face it you are a spiritual kind of person, you have alternative ideas on life and the universe. Perhaps you saw an UFO, talked to an angel or had a Near Death Experience in short you know that there are other dimensions. Then you hit up against a sceptic. Someone whose visions are so materialistic they just “pooh pooh” your experiences, and make out you are some sort of “air head” because you believe in them. So how to you talk to people who just don’t understand you?
You could try asking sceptical folk questions, for example to explain the rise in UFO sightings, the increase in earth quakes, solar flares, tidal waves and mass murders. You could ask them to explain why the status quo is getting so repressive, and more and more people are in crisis feeling so lost, alienated and alone.
You could get them to talk about themselves, to understand why they think the way they do. You could suggest that their experiences are conditioned by what they have been taught rather than what they have experienced You could try various ways to open up the discussion, but if they insist on being pedantic, and continue to put you down, what do you do? Here are a few pointers.
- Learn to be unconditionally accepting of them.
- Ask yourself why you need to bang up against these types of people, why you feel that you have to be more right than they are. Let go of wanting them to agree with you.
- Ask yourself who they represent , perhaps your dad imposed his rules and regulations on you, or a school teacher bossed you around, and told you off. The more you resist understanding why you engage with people who do not understand you, and who they symbolise for you, the more you will stop seeking them out.
- Realise that wanting them to be more open minded and accepting is all about you and less about them. It has everything to do with your ego defending you vulnerability.
- Allow other to have different ideas to you, you do not have to defend your stance. Perhaps you need to accept that it is perfectly fine to think that angels are protecting your way, even if someone else does not.
- Try not to get emotional about their different viewpoints, just look at their arguments in a detached way and continue to ask questions, and as they talk you might realise they feel as vulnerable as you do, perhaps more so.
- Imagine that a third person is overseeing your argument, and put yourself in their shoes. What would they think if they were to see you getting all hot under the collar as you shout down a sneering sceptic?
- The more upset and angry you get the more you are playing into their hands. Remain cool, and if you cannot take one minute of put downs, take the healthy option and walk away.
- Give others a right to their opinions, if they are different to yours, realise that you might both be mirroring each other’s intolerance back at each other.
Once you realise the prejudiced sceptic is the other side of your very own coin, you will find it easier to stand their opinions and not try to change them! Give it a go, you will save a lot of upset if you do.
(C)Copyright 2013, Psychic.Info 2691 (1681)