“One day you’ll look to see I’ve gone
For tomorrow may rain, so I’ll follow the sun.
Some day you’ll know I was the one
but tomorrow may rain, so I’ll follow the sun.”
Okay quit the sun bathing, scorn the super tan, and get real, NASA is on high alert, insisting that we prepare for a “once in a lifetime super solar storm event”. NASA’s Heliphysics Division said “We know that it is coming, but we don’t know how bad it’s going to be.”
So should you and your family start digging the shelter, should you, order the powdered milk, bottled water, camping equipment, stun guns, and portable fridge.? If what The “Independent” reporter Steve Connor says is true, perhaps yes.
Connor ‘s investigations demonstrate that “A solar “super storm” could knock out Earth’s communications satellites, cause dangerous power surges in the national grid and disrupt crucial navigation aids and aircraft avionics, a major report has found.
“It is inevitable that an extreme solar storm – caused by the Sun ejecting billions of tonnes of highly-energetic matter travelling at a million miles an hour – will hit the Earth at some time in the near future, but it is impossible to predict more than about 30 minutes before it actually happens, a team of engineers has warned.
“Professor Paul Cannon,.. said “A solar super storm will be a challenge but not cataclysmic. The two challenges for government are the wide spectrum of technologies affected today and the emergence of unexpected vulnerabilities as technology evolves.”
On the other hand, “Earth” on line tell us nuclear reactors would be the most challenging problem. In fact, John Kappenman, an esteemed electrical engineer predicts “Hundreds of Fukushimas!” Kappenman spent decades studying the U.S. power grid’s vulnerability to geomagnetic activity. He claims “Nuclear reactors would shut down, and eventually melt down because even their coolant water systems need electricity to continue operating the large pumps needed for cooling the …reactors. I wish I could paint a rosier picture!”
So basically, beyond “Apocalypse Now” scenarios what could we really expect from a gargantuan solar storm?
- Knock out of all communication satellites and the bringing down of civilisation as we know it in 30 minutes flat.
- Computers, navigation systems, TV, radio IPods and medical services off screen for years. Only upside is dentists drills would cease to function.
- The banking system would crash; credit cards and online accounts would be useless the Internet would disappear. Panic would ensue in major cities and country towns and villages would be cut off.
- Mass looting would initiate worldwide, we could enter into a time of total anarchy and street violence akin to the movie “Mad Max!”
- Many would die from starvation, as there would be no more access to basics like fresh drinking water, food, etc.
- Transport would cease, gas pumps would cease, so would transportation.
- We might return to the horse and carriage, in fact we would walk back about 150 years.
- World leaders would be incapable of helping. In short all governmental systems would crash, and people would fend for themselves.
So is the solar storm a classic low probability, or high impact event? Nobody really knows but NASA is watching the sun” rather than “Following it” Beatles style.
We sincerely hope humanity won’t be burnt to a devastating frazzle. How say you?
(C)Copyright 2013, Psychic.Info 2777 (1041)